Monday 5 November 2007

U-G-G-L-Y, you ain't got no alibi...

Sienna in her Uggs FOUR YEARS ago!

I have to say I have a love/hate relationship with my Ugg boots. It is four years since the crazy looking beasts first became fashion news on the feet of the likes of Sienna Miller and Kate Hudson, but the pesky things don't seem to want to go away.

Uggs went from fashion favourites to faux pas when the WAGS caught on so I stopped wearing mine. This transpired to be a stupid and unmanageable decision as soon as December hit. Ballet pumps jst don't cut it in the British winter. So I dragged the relagated items from the back of my wardrobe and breathed life into them once more. My feet enjoyed this newfound toastiness until I saw a ten-year-old wearing some very similar, upon which sighting they were instantly demoted once again. This was about two years ago. Since then my Uggs have been repeatedly picked up and discarded. This year, it seems, you cannot be a student without a pair, and those who did not buy them four years ago are filling the coffers of Ugg once more. Therefore I am wearing them again, admittedly with a slightly hangdog an expression and a "but they're really comfy..." ready on my lips.

The thing is, these are weird shoes, as shoes go, and that is saying quite a lot. One commentator, probably a man (and by the way, men in Uggs should be shot), said they made women look like they had hooves. The proliferation of celebrities who look like Innuits because of them is surprising. Therefore, it must be the comfort factor that keeps us coming back for more. It is certainly not anything to do with the price! But despite all this, and the ever-maligned likelihood of looking like a sheep (literally) I just can't put mine down. So tomorrow I will sheepishly be pulling my Uggs on, because its one shoe addiction I just can't break.

No comments: